Frequently Asked Questions

Answering Your Questions About SurePayroll and Small Business Payroll and Taxes

All Fields Required


If you need to make a wire transfer (not an ACH debit), contact Customer Support and we will provide you with information on when and how to wire funds. We cannot divulge wire thresholds for security reasons.

A Third Party Sick Pay (3PSP) check is for taxable Short Term Disability/Sick payments made to the employee by a Third Party Insurance Agent.

SurePayroll does not currently support non-taxable Disability/Sick payments.

For additional information or concerns, contact Customer Support.


The 1099-MISC form is generally used by Independent Contractors or self-employed individuals to state their earnings for the year. Other scenarios also apply. Visit for additional information about Form 1099-MISC. The 1096 Form is a summary tax report documenting the totals from 1099 forms that must be submitted to the IRS. Form 1096 is used with all types of 1099s. The 1096 is only submitted to the IRS as a summary and not to any individuals who receive a 1099.

Yes, you can access this information from your payroll account. You can find the information under Reports> Annual Employee Reports. You are expected to print the 1099-MISC form for each of your independent contractors from your payroll account on regular paper. Your independent contractors may also log in through the employee portal and print out the form themselves.

You can make some corrections on 1099-MISC forms from your payroll account. For example, you can make a correction/adjustment on check dates in the current tax year, providing the deadline has not passed. If a deadline has passed, an amendment will be needed to add or remove wages from the form and fees may apply. For additional information regarding Form 1099-MISC corrections and/or adjustments, contact Customer Support.

Yes, you can make some demographic changes for independent contractors from your payroll account. Such changes include first and last name, address changes, and social security number changes. To do this, log in to your payroll account and review the 1099-MISC form in question. Follow the prompts to make the changes. Accept the independent contractor fees when prompted. Those fees will debit from your account within 24 hours. The update will be completed in the system within 48 hours.

Be aware that SurePayroll does NOT support Federal Employer Identification Numbers (FEINs) in the place of social security numbers.

Yes. Our system supports IRS Form 943 (Employer’s Annual Federal Tax Return for Agricultural Employees). This form is required if you paid wages to one or more farmworkers and the wages were subject to social security and Medicare taxes or federal taxes withholding. If this situation is applicable, please contact Customer Support to ensure that we have all the necessary information we need to file this report.

SurePayroll always strives for accuracy when it comes to W-2 and W-3 tax forms. The information displayed on these forms is based on information provided by you – the client – at the time payroll was processed. Address any corrections needed in a timely manner. Be aware that requests for changes or corrections can delay accuracy of Form W-2 or Form W-2c. Notify your employees of this possibility if this occurs.

Clients are responsible for verifying Federal Employer Identification Numbers (FEIN) and employee social security numbers.

Boxes ‘a’ through ‘f’ on the W-2 Form displays a variety of information: the employee’s SSN, the employer’s FEIN and contact information, as well as the control number used by SurePayroll for tracking purposes (Box d). You will also find the employee’s name and address and zip code.

Be aware that the SSN and name on this form should match exactly as it is shown on the employee’s social security card. It is your responsibility to ensure this accuracy.

Boxes 1 through 6 of the W-2 Form contain financial information such as total taxable wages, federal taxes withheld, and total taxable wages subject to social security and Medicare.

SurePayroll suggests clients familiarize themselves with the W-2 form. We do not provide financial or legal advice. However, if you have questions or need assistance, contact Customer Support.

Yes, you can do this from your dashboard. Once you’ve logged in, click on the W2 Preview banner, then click on Preview W2s and 1099s. On the company contact information page, click Save and then Continue. On the 1099 filing options page, select ‘NO, I will prepare my employee’s 1099 and my 1096’. Click Save and then continue.

Note: If you want to fill in the 1099s or 1096 forms on your own, make the selection before the W2s and 1099s are posted online. If you don’t, you’ll be charged to make the change.

All Social Security Number changes now require SUI amendments, in addition to Form W2-C for each quarter. However, not all states apply. Contact Customer Support for information about requirements for your state.

Please contact Customer Support for information regarding which Box 12 codes we support. Be prepared to offer details regarding your question/s or situation. Numerous situations apply, such as designated Roth contributions, elective deferrals, and costs of employer-sponsored health coverages.

SurePayroll cannot offer tax or legal advice, but we can help you make some decisions based on whether to check certain scenarios for Box 13 on your W2 form. Call Customer Support for additional information on how we can help with Box 13 concerns.

If you have not started the W2 Preview or you are logged in to your W2 Preview Company Contact page, you can make the necessary change. On your company contact page, click ‘Save’ and continue. Under Employee Reports, click the ‘Preview’ for the employee whose information is incorrect. Make any changes on the Verify W2 page and then click ‘Save’.

On the W2 page, click ‘Reject’ in the lower left-hand corner. In the comments box, enter the hourly, salary, or earning name, wage amount, any taxes and amounts, and the check date when the wage change took place. (You can confirm the date by checking Reviews Reports or personal notes).

If nothing else needs to be changed, click ‘Submit Corrections’. We will make the changes and inform you when this is completed. However, be aware that if you need to make any changes after W2s or 1099s have been posted, you will be charged for the change/s.

Contact Customer Support with any questions you have about this process.

Most W-2s and 1099s are posted to payroll accounts on December 31st. Once you have logged into your payroll account, click on Reports and then W-2s, 1099s, W-3, 1096 for specific information.

Note that if you have not settled any open balances, the W-2s or 1099s may not yet be displayed.

Note that we do not mail out the forms. We supply access to the forms in your payroll account for you to distribute by January 31st.

If you find an error on a W-2 or 1099, notify us immediately so that we can make the necessary corrections. While you’re waiting for a corrected form, you can still distribute the incorrect form to meet requirements. Notify your employee that a correction is being processed and a new form will arrive shortly.

You have two options for distributing W-2s and 1099s to your employees.

First, you can Print and Distribute: If you want to print off the entire batch of employees from the W-2s, 1099s, W-3, or 1096 page, click on PDF next to Employee W-2 Wage and Tax Statements (all employees) and/or Contractor 1099-MISC miscellaneous income (all contractors). Otherwise, click on the PDF link next to each employee. Once the PDF opens, you can save the document locally and/or print the forms.

From the Employee Portal: You can let your employees know that they can access their W-2 or 1099 in their employee portal by clicking on My History. Then click on PDF next to the year/form. They can print the form themselves.

No. We only support 1099-MISC. We do not handle 1099-DIV, 1099-H, 1099-INT, 1099-LTC, 1099-Q, 1099-R, or 1099-SA forms.

W-2 Box 12 Code DD is used to report the cost of Employer-Sponsored health coverage. Clients other than those from Vermont who need to report these amounts should notify us once W-2s are posted, and include the employee name with their amount. These will need to be processed as W2-C requests.

If you’re a Vermont client, you’ll be able to enter the information once W-2s are posted (see the Edit W-2 link).

The DAV form is used when certain clients have requested a change in a company’s bank account that we use to debit funds, or to change the executive contract that is on the company’s profile. This form is ONLY needed if the client doesn’t have the online bank change feature or if our Risk/Implementation department requires the form.

With online bank changes, we now require a voided check or bank letter from some clients instead of the DAV form.

Contact Customer Support if you have questions or concerns about this form.


Multi-factor authentication (MFA) is an authentication method. A user is only granted access to a site (such as an online account) after entering two or more ‘proofs of identity’ or authentication questions. SurePayroll utilizes enhanced security features that request the user’s username and password, plus a one-time passcode sent to user’s email or mobile device. (We caution our users that email is not as secure as mobile device delivery). 

NPS stands for Net Promoter Score. We occasionally select random clients to take our NPS survey following payroll processing. Scores are rated on a 1-10 scale, with 10 being the highest. Clients rate our service on how likely they are to recommend or refer our business to others.

When you print an additional check, you’ll need to ‘customize’ or determine the amount of federal income tax (FIT) or state income tax (SIT) that is withheld based on pay amount.

Prior-to-service wages are wages paid to your employee/s before you started service with us in the current calendar year. You provide that information to us so we can collect the wage information and add it to your payroll account to make sure that end-of-year W-2s are accurate.

Be aware that SurePayroll is not responsible for paying taxes on prior-to-service payrolls nor are we responsible for filing prior completed quarters. SurePayroll will only make quarterly tax payments and filings for the quarter you processed your first check date with us.

It is also your responsibility to review the prior-to-service wages and payroll account setup during the SureCheck process.

If you have additional questions about Prior-to-Service wages, contact Customer Support.

FUTA is the acronym for Federal Unemployment Trust Fund. It refers to loans or advances from the federal government that cover lack of funds for paying unemployment insurance benefits to residents in a state whose unemployment funds are in financial difficulty due to poor economic conditions in that state.

FUTA is an employer tax and cannot be deducted from employee wages. For more information about FUTA and how it may apply to you, contact Customer Support.

Officer-only payrolls are applicable to S-corporations (S-corps) with one to five officers. Officers are typically paid by salary on a monthly, quarterly, or annual basis. They should not be paid as a 1099 contractor.

DOL refers to the United States Department of Labor. The Department of Labor promotes the welfare and rights of wage earners, job seekers and retirees. It also strives to improve working conditions and protections for workers. For more information about the DOL, visit their site here.

SUI stands for State Unemployment Insurance. This program provides unemployment benefits to eligible workers who become unemployed due to slowdowns, layoffs, or other circumstances that are beyond their control. Visit the Department of Labor page regarding more information about SUI.

The initials ‘WC’ stand for Workers’ Compensation. Also known as workers’ comp, this is a type of accident insurance that is paid by certain employers. Your salary or hourly pay is not affected. Employers pay this form of accident insurance. For more information about Workers’ Compensation under the U.S. Dept. of Labor, visit their site here.

The initials ‘PCN’ stand for Payroll Change Note. A payroll change note refers to changes manually made to a payroll by Customer Support when a client is unable to make the change manually from their dashboard. For additional information about any payroll changes with your payroll, contact Customer Support.

FUTA stands for Federal Unemployment Tax Act. This act, along with state unemployment systems, helps to pay unemployment compensation to a worker who has lost his or her job. FUTA taxes are not withheld from employee wages, but are paid by employers. For more information on FUTA, visit the IRS’s Federal Unemployment Tax information page.

FIT refers to Federal Income Tax. Federal income tax rates apply to taxable income. Rates differ for single filers, married couples, and Independent Contractors. As your taxable income rises, so too do your federal income tax obligations. Different tax rates are based on different income brackets based on the taxpayer filing status. Tax brackets are adjusted for inflation annually.

SIT stands for State Income Tax. Not all states have withholding taxes. As of 2019, states that have no state withholding include AK, FL, NH, NV, SD, TN, TX, WA and WY.

The initials CD in our system stand for ‘check date’.

Payroll. If you have any questions about abbreviations or acronyms used by the SurePayroll system, feel free to contact Customer Support for clarification.

Not exactly. An employee on a bi-weekly payroll schedule is paid every other week, or 26 times in a year. An employee on a semi-monthly payroll is typically paid twice a month or 24 times a year. In most cases, an employee on such a schedule is paid on the 15th and the 30th of the month.

Prior to Service (PTS) wages refer to wages paid to a client’s employees prior to starting with our service in the current calendar year. SurePayroll collects that wage information and adds it to the payroll account to ensure that employee W-2s are accurate at the end of the year. The client is responsible for reviewing any ‘prior to service’ wages and also the payroll account setup during SureCheck.

Note that we are not responsible for paying taxes on PTS payrolls or filings prior completed quarters. We only make quarterly tax payments and quarterly filings for the quarter during which clients processed their first check with us. If you have additional questions or concerns about PTS, contact Customer Support.

A statutory employee is defined as an independent contractor under common law. The statutory employee is treated like an employee for tax withholding purposes. Such employees are also able to deduct work-related expenses on IRS Schedule C instead of Schedule A. The statutory employee should have Box 13 of the W-2 marked as ‘Statutory Employee’.

Dependent (child) care is a pre-tax benefit account used to pay for eligible dependent care services. Examples of such services include pre-school, summer day camps, before or after-school programs, and child or adult day care services. Amounts are reported in Box 10 on the W-2.

A Medical FSA is also a pre-tax benefit account that is used to pay for eligible medical, dental, and vision care expenses that are not covered by your (the client’s) health insurance plan based on certain limitations. Employers can report these amounts in Box 14 of the W-2, but they are not required. SurePayroll does not support this from a W-2 Box 14 or limit perspective.

If you have further questions or concerns about the FSA Box 14 issue, contact Customer Support.

Fringe benefits may be FICA taxable, taxable, or non-taxable depending on scenario.

For example, a FICA-taxable only compensation is a benefit granted by an employer that has monetary value but does not affect basic wages. This tax is added only to Social Security and Medicare taxable wages and does not add to the net pay.

A non-taxable fringe benefit is granted by an employer that has a monetary value but does not affect basic wages. This type of compensation is not subject to taxes and will not add to the net pay. A few examples include employee discounts or stock options, job-related tuition assistance reimbursements, and retirement planning services. Taxable fringe benefits are fully taxable compensation for a benefit granted by an employer that has monetary value but does not affect basic wages. It’s added to all taxable wages but not added to net pay. A few examples of taxable fringe benefits include bonuses, vacation expenses, frequent-flier miles earned during business use, converted to cash, and so forth.

For additional information about taxable and non-taxable fringe benefits as it applies to you, contact your accountant. You may call Customer Support for information on our processes in this regard, though we are not allowed to provide legal or tax advice.

A non-taxable auto allowance is paid as a reimbursement for business-related auto or other expenses. Compensation is non-taxable and does not add to net pay.

A taxable auto-allowance is a fully taxable compensation for the value of personal use of a company vehicle but does not add to net pay.

FLSA is an acronym for the Fair Labor Standards Act. Once a worker is classified as an employee, you must determine whether the employee is exempt or non-exempt for overtime pay based on the requirements set forth by FLSA laws. For example:

Non-Exempt (means entitled to overtime pay) – such as those who earn less than $455 per week ($23,660 per year) or ‘blue-collar’ employees regardless of hourly or salary rate.

Exempt (meaning not entitled to overtime pay) – such as executive employees/management, administrative employees such as office or non-manual workers, professional employees such as work requiring a talent in a recognized field, computer professional employees, and outside sales employees.

For more information on this regulation, visit or contact SurePayroll Customer Support.

‘Regular Payroll’ clients have a set payroll schedule to pay employees and 1099 contractors. Payroll will include pay period dates and check dates based on pay frequency. You can set up your payroll schedule on the web to send email reminders to the approver to process payroll based on that schedule. Correctly setting the payroll schedule ensures that payroll processes on time, especially around holidays.

‘Extra payroll’ means that you can process a special check or payroll (such as bonuses, commissions, final checks, or custom tax checks) outside of the normal payroll schedule. You can select the pay period dates and a check date without impacting the regular payroll schedule and reminders.


To calculate NPS, we subtract the percentage of detractors from the number of promoters leaving feedback, which equals NPS. Anything above 50% is considered ‘world class service’. We consistently strive to stay above that score.

Scoring: Promoters (scores 9-10) are enthusiastic and loyal customers who keep buying and referring others, fueling growth; Passives (scores 7-8) are satisfied but unenthusiastic customers vulnerable to competitive offers; Detractors (scores 0-6) are unhappy customers with the potential to damage a brand and impede growth through negative comments and word-of-mouth.

You will need to fill out a form to use when you (the client) are NOT on the new billing system and would like to make a payment with a credit card. Contact Customer Support and we will send you a Credit Card Authorization form for SurePayroll to use. For a one-time use only, please complete the form and provide requested information and sign under Credit Card Authorization. The form must be completed in its entirety to give SurePayroll authorization to charge the credit card designated on the form.

The process typically takes one business day to process.

Yes, we can provide a brief overview of your invoice. Your invoice contains valuable information that includes your account information, all fees that are charged to your account, invoices, and a list of transactions such as debits, credits, or refunds that were applied to your account. You can also view all invoices in PDF files from your dashboard (in Chrome). If you have more detailed questions or concerns about your bill, please contact Customer Support.

It is the responsibility of the employer to determine a worker’s status, either as an employee or an independent contractor. Determination is typically made in one of two ways: the ‘common law test’ or the ‘reasonable basis test’.

When making the determination about employee status, ask yourself ‘How independent is the employee?’ For example, how much control do you have or can you exercise over the worker?

An employer can classify a worker as an independent contractor (and file a 1099 for employment tax purposes) as long as you (the employer) have a ‘reasonable basis’ for doing so. This is even though the work is temporary or independently contracted and the employer (you) has the right to control the work done.

If in doubt regarding employee status, visit and fill out Form SS-8 to obtain a written determination from the IRS regarding the worker’s status. You must treat such a worker as an employee until the IRS determination has been reached and received. If you need additional help, contact Customer Support.

Payroll & Taxes

The Federal Unemployment Tax Act (FUTA) is strictly an employer’s tax and cannot be deducted from an employee’s wages. Employers pay FUTA and file Form 940 - Employer’s Annual Federal Unemployment (FUTA) Tax Return.

If you qualify for the credit, SurePayroll automatically calculates FUTA tax at the 0.6% rate on payroll processing. The maximum credit allowed is 5.4%. The gross FUTA tax is 6%. Therefore, 6% - 5.4% = 0.6%.

Be aware that clients that are SUI exempt do not qualify for the credit and will owe the full 6% at the end of the year. We still calculate your FUTA at the 0.6% rate on payroll processing. For additional questions regarding FUTA, contact Customer Support or visit for detailed information.

Taxable wages for FUTA have a cap. Only the first $7,000 paid as taxable wages for each employee in a calendar year are taxable for FUTA. After that, you no longer have to pay FUTA for that employee for the calendar year. The wage limits start over every January. For general information, the typical FUTA tax on $7,000 is $42.00 ($7,000 x 0.06%).

S-corp 2% owner earnings are not subject to social security, Medicare, and FUTA taxes. Earning amount is included in boxes 1, 14, and 16 of Form W-2.

SurePayroll makes sure that taxes owed match taxes that were actually paid. We usually perform this audit/task 20 days following the end of a quarter. If we find any tax discrepancies, we notify clients whether they will receive a credit or a debit to their account due to a tax discrepancy. For more information about this process, contact Customer Support.

If you receive any notice from a local or state agency regarding taxes or changes to taxes or filing procedures, please let us know. We will make the adjustment for you. Submit the agency notice through the ‘Contact Us’ button in your payroll account. We can typically take care of this change within 24 hours.


State tax rates can fluctuate, so while we provide estimates, be aware that those are subject to change and should not be used as legal or tax advice.

The HIRD form requires Massachusetts employers with six or more employees in any month during the past 12 months to complete this form online. This is your responsibility to complete and we CANNOT complete or file this form for you. If you need help or have questions about this form, contact your health insurance company.

For DC PFL, premiums are currently set at 0.62% of gross wages. There is no wage cap. This is an employer-only premium. This also applies to small businesses. All subject employers are required to pay DC PFL premiums regardless of how many employees they have.

SurePayroll does not file claims on behalf of clients. For additional information call the DC Department of Employment Services (DOES) directly for information.

No. Paid Safe and Sick Leave is a separate benefit first enacted in 2008 for employees working in DC. For additional information on Paid Safe and Sick Leave, visit at

In 2020, Washington state will offer benefits to employees/workers to take up to 12 weeks to bond with a new infant, or when the employee is injured or is ill, or to take care of a sick relative. Certain military events will be included as well. As of January 1, 2019 premiums paid by certain employers and employees will fund the program.

If you’re a small business owner with 50 or fewer employees, you will be exempted from paying the employer share (although you can pay into it if you wish). For larger businesses, payroll contributions will be 0.4% of the gross wages up to the Social Security wage base limit. Premiums are split into two parts: Family Leave and Medical Leave.

Employees pay 100% into the Family Leave portion while Medical leave is split 45% by the employee and 55% by the employer.

If you have questions or concerns about setting up your account for the WA PFML, contact Customer Support.

Employers subject to the MA Employer Medical Assistance Contribution (EMAC) are required to pay their contribution on the first $15,000 of each employee’s wages paid during the calendar year. Contributions due are based on wages and the employer’s EMAC rate. These amounts are NOT collected on payroll but at the end of the quarter through the Outstanding Tax Liability process in order to pay and file the taxes. SurePayroll does pay and file the EMAC for our customers with Massachusetts SUI tax liability.

To activate, new and existing clients should enter the date of first wages with the agency. This is done through the Company Profile. Process your payroll as usual. EMAC amounts will be calculated at quarter-end.

If you have additional questions about the MA EMAC, contact Customer Support.

The state of Vermont has mandatory ACA reporting requirements regardless of how many employees they have. It is your responsibility to report employee healthcare information to us to eliminate data entry errors. You are required to enter this information on W-2s prior to deadlines.

Be aware that employers who don’t follow mandatory requirements may face heavy penalties from the IRS.

If you have questions regarding the ESR in regard to your payroll, contact Customer Support.

Workers’ Compensation for employers in Washington is administered by the Washington State Department of Labor & Industries. Employers must pay and file Washington L&I unless they are exempt. You have several options; either you’re excluded, or you can file and pay yourself separate from your payroll, or you pay this through your payroll. If you have questions or concerns about this enrollment setup process, contact Customer Support and we will walk you through it.

Premiums for eligible Washington State’s Workers’ Compensation are based on the number of hours worked and the type of work done by employees for their employer’s business. Upon enrollment in the program you will be assigned a workers’ compensation classification code based on the nature of the industry or business. Each has its own basic insurance rate attached to it. For additional questions about WA L&I and your payroll, contact Customer Support.

All new SurePayroll clients need to have their Washington L&I set up prior to approving your first payroll. This ensures that Washington L&I is withheld in the current quarter. If this is not done, withholding will not incur until the start of the new quarter. If you have questions about Washington’s L&I setup, contact Customer Support.

Yes. Washington State does require a POA for new and existing clients on their Washington State Department of Labor & Industries ‘Authorization to Access Information or File on Behalf of Employer’ form for quarterly filings. For additional information regarding this requirement, you can contact Employer Services at Washington State Department of Labor & Industries.

No. SurePayroll does not file claims on behalf of clients. You will need to contact the Washington Labor & Industry department directly for information.

To obtain your workers’ compensation code, visit this link to the Washington State Department of Labor & Industries.

For commissioned employees, report actual hours if reflected in payroll records. If the payroll records don’t reflect actual hours, report a minimum 40 hours per week for each full-time employee and 8 hours per day or 40 hours per week for part-time employees.

For salaried employees, report actual hours if reflected in the payroll records. If the payroll records don’t reflect actual hours, report 160 hours per month.

Yes. You will see amounts withheld on the Details report of the Payroll Preview. Note that even though this is workers’ compensation insurance, it is set up as a tax in our system due to being withheld and paid to the agency. For additional questions about Washington’s L&I Workers’ Compensation, contact Customer Support or the Washington state agency.

Business Registration:

Rate Notice/Class Code rates (From the menu, select WA UBI number and enter the UBI):

My WA L&I Account:

Risk class lookup:

Exempt employers:

Exempt employee types:

Self-Insured Employers:

No. Washington’s Department of Labor & Industries sets that rate. These costs are based on illness and accident rates in your industry-specific business and your business claims history. Rates vary based on job risk. For additional information on this insurance, contact the L&I agency.

For the most recent information on business requirements for Washington’s L&I business requirements, visit their site here.

Starting in 2021, the state of Massachusetts will offer paid family and medical leave benefits to workers. The program will be funded by premiums paid by both employers and employees under the direction of the Massachusetts Department of Family and Medical Leave (DFML).

This insurance program establishes a system for paid family leave up to 12 weeks to care for a family member and up to 20 weeks for an employee’s own illness.

SurePayroll will calculate, pay, and file the Massachusetts Paid Family Medical (PFML) premiums for you so you don’t have to do it yourself.

SurePayroll will calculate, pay, and file premiums for the MA PFML program. Premium assessment (payroll contributions) will being on October 1, 2019. Benefits can be taken starting on January 1, 2021. For more information about premium calculations, contact Customer Support.

All Massachusetts employers, including out-of-state employers with Massachusetts employees, will be subject to this insurance program – with very few exceptions. SurePayroll will calculate, pay, and file these premiums for you. Premiums will be assessed starting Oct 1, 2019 and benefits can be taken by employees starting Jan. 1, 2021. For additional information about this program, contact Customer Support.

Beginning in January 2021, the state of Massachusetts will offer paid family and medical leave benefits to workers. It’s funded by premiums paid by both employers and employees. The insurance program offers up to 12 weeks to care for a family member and up to 20 weeks to care for an employee’s own illness. Premium assessments will begin on October 1, 2019.

Premiums will be 0.75% of gross wages up to the Social Security wage base limit. For more information on MA PFML and how it will affect your payroll services, contact Customer Support.

For W-2 employees in Massachusetts, the MA PFML generally follows similar criteria as the Massachusetts state unemployment insurance program (SUI). If you as an employer are required to report a W-2 employee’s wages to the Department of Unemployment Assistance (DUA), those employees will also be subject to MA PFML.

Some types of employment are exempt from MA SUI and are also excluded from the MA PFML law. Such services include but are not limited to: employment in the railroad industry; services performed for a spouse, son, or daughter; services performed by inmates of penal institutions; services provided by real estate brokers/salespeople and insurance agents/solicitors in commission-only jobs. For additional information on exemptions for MA PFML, visit MGL 151A Section 6 or contact Customer Support.

Small businesses have special considerations in regard to the PFML law. If you have fewer than 25 employees, you are not required to pay the employer portion of the premium, but you are still required to report employee wages, and withhold the employee portion of the premium.

It is your responsibility to let SurePayroll know if you are required to pay the employer portion or not. You can also visit MGL 151A Section 6 for additional information.

Self-employed individuals do not have to participate in the MA PFML program. Even so, a self-employed individual can purchase coverage. Note that a 1099 contractor should only be included in the average employee count if your business meets the requirements to withhold MA PFML for your 1099 contractors. Visit for additional information.

As per the Pennsylvania Department of Community and Economic Development, the mandatory low-income exemption means that political subdivisions that levy a local service tax (LST) ‘at a rate that exceeds $10 must exempt from the tax taxpayers whose total earned income and net profits from all sources within the political subdivision is less than $12,000’.

Low-income exempt employees must have an Exemption Certificate. Employers should collect the Exemption Certificate from the employee to keep for your records. You can set up your employee online. Be aware that the low-income exempt employee will need to be set up correctly PRIOR to PA LST withheld or paid. If you’re not sure how to complete this process, contact Customer Service to ensure that your employee is set up in your payroll correctly.

If a low-income exempt employee exceeds the threshold for the PA LST exemption, you will see a banner notifying you of this on your dashboard. When the low-income exempt employee reaches the threshold of $12,000 in wages, the PA LST (or OPT) will calculate. For additional information or questions about PA LST, contact Customer Support.

If you cannot cancel the payroll, we may be able to complete a void with the same check date. However, you must wait until the void is complete before you can run a new payroll in the previous year. Also be aware that you must provide a signed absolution letter. Other considerations may apply. For more information, contact Customer Support.

Alaska, Florida, New Hampshire, Nevada, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Washington, and Wyoming do not currently have a state income tax.

Washington state workers’ compensation provides no-fault industrial insurance coverage for most employers and workers in the state. Premiums of Washington L&I premiums are based on the number of hours worked and type of work done by employees.

SurePayroll clients are required to provide their rates when enrolling in our service or at the start of each year. SurePayroll supports WA L&I processing. Payroll setup is available, including industry codes and rates. We calculate and report hours for quarters we paid and filed for. We submit payments and quarterly filing with Form F212-055-000 (Washington State Department of Labor & Industries Workers’ Compensation Employer’s Quarterly Report).

If you have questions regarding SurePayroll support for WA L&I Worker’s Compensation setup, reports, or filings, contact Customer Support. We’ll be happy to answer your questions.


If you want to terminate our payroll services but you’re not moving your payroll to another company, contact our Customer Service department. We can help you through the process.

If for any reason you need to pause (not cancel) services with us due to seasonal or slow periods, contact Customer Support. In some cases, we can offer to suspend services for a nominal fee. We will still prepare and file quarterly or annual returns for the remainder of the year. The suspension prevents you from having to re-enroll when you’re ready to start running payrolls again.  

Absolutely! We’re glad to have you back. Contact Customer Support and we’ll reactivate.

If you previously terminated services and would like to reactivate payroll service, contact our Sales department. In most cases, you may need to submit new documents, whereupon you will be given a new account and account number (Business Code Label or BCL). Options depend on whether you were converted to TaxPay at the time.

If you were converted to TaxPay and have passed the 6-month mark from termination date, you will be given a new BCL. Our Sales department would enroll you as a brand new client.

If you terminated less than 6 months ago and no wages have been run outside of our SurePayroll system, we should be able to reactivate your account upon receipt of certain requested documents. Our Customer Care department would be able to handle this for you.

Reactivation is typically achieved within 24 hours following submission of requested documents.

In most cases, we can allow a client to suspend their payroll account for a lower fee if they are temporarily not processing payrolls and don’t want to suspend services. However, if you’ve previously had a freeze/suspension, you may not be eligible for this process. Please contact Customer Support for details.

Employers are required to submit quarterly filings even if you have no employees or liabilities with zero dollar returns. If you have closed your account with your state tax agency and have no tax liabilities for that year (annual filings also apply) we can inactivate that tax. However, if you have not closed your account with the state tax agency, do so before contacting us. If we deactivate without you first closing your account with the state tax agency, you would still receive a tax notice, as the tax agency would still expect quarterly filings.

If you have additional questions about inactivating a tax agency from your account, contact Customer Support.

If you have previously terminated services with SurePayroll and would like to reactivate service with us, we can help you with that. We will need to assign you with a new Business Code Label (BCL) and will also require new documents. In most cases, we can complete this process for you within 24 hours of requested document receipt and verification.

We allow clients to place a temporary suspension on their payroll accounts for a lower fee as long as you don’t want to terminate services. Some client partner codes have the ability to accomplish this, while others don’t. You may not be eligible for a payroll account freeze and will need to keep the account open and pay the minimum monthly fee. Contact Customer Support with this issue and we will answer any questions you may have about temporarily freezing or suspending an account.

Please contact Customer Support and we will help you with this issue.

Customer - Account

In some cases, certain stipulations apply to refunding fees. However, in others, we can issue a client credit on your next billing period upon review of your account. If you have additional questions or issues about fees, contact Customer Support.

New clients are not eligible for 1-Day Debits/payroll. Others must have a minimum of 6 previous payroll runs to be considered eligible. You can’t have any Non-Sufficient Funds (NSFs) in the previous 6 months and you must be set up for a 1 or 2-day payroll processing schedule. (A 5-day schedule is not eligible).

With Officer-Only payrolls, the SurePayroll system limits the maximum employee count to 5 (five). Employee status is defined as either Full Time or Part Time. The maximum salary per pay period is $99,999.00 and we allow Quarterly or Annual payroll schedules. For additional questions regarding Officer-Only payrolls, contact Customer Support.

Federal and state agencies have differing regulations regarding POA requirements. For Federal Income Tax, the POA is required. Various forms may be required such as notarized documents, Federal tax forms, and state-based forms or requirements to register directly with your state or local tax authority.

Check with your state agencies for information or contact Customer Support and we can help you with resources.

Payroll change notes are manual changes made by us to a payroll ONLY when you cannot perform the function online yourself. These are not common. Payroll change notes should provide details regarding the change. You must check the payroll change request box and save it prior to approving the change you want to be made. You will need to wait for Operations to process the change in order for the payroll to completely process before you can print checks or view updated payroll reports. In most cases, the process is generally completed by the end of the business day or by a scheduled approval date.

An accurate EIN is vital so that we can pay and file your federal taxes correctly. In some cases, the client realizes this mistake. You must notify us immediately. Sometimes, the Electronic Federal Tax Payment System (EFTPS) will notify us that the EFTPS was rejected. To rectify this we will need to make sure that you (the client) has supplied the IRS with the correct FEIN information and send us a copy with the correct FEIN, company name, and address.

You will also need to complete new enrollment forms with the correct FEIN information, which may include the PSA and POAs for each agency set up on your payroll account. If the effective date of the change is in the past, we will also need to receive an Absolution letter.

We can make the appropriate changes for you within 24 hours following submission of completed forms.

You can make this change yourself in your dashboard. If you need help or have any questions, contact Customer Support.

Be aware that as a POA or executor, you may have legal authorization to make decisions on that person’s behalf, but you may not have legal authorization over that person’s business or household decisions. If the ownership has changed, you must first go through the IRS for a legal change. An executive change defines an individual who takes over financial responsibility of the company or business ‘as is’ – meaning there is no change to the Federal Identification Number of the business or company and/or taxation rates.

In such cases, changes can be made within 48 hours. During this change, you will not be able to process payroll. You will need to complete new enrollment forms, such as a PSA with DAV and a POA for each agency set up on their payroll account.

If ownership does not change, we would need to receive an official copy of the legal POA that details that the person designated as POA can make decisions on behalf of the Admin/Approver/Executive. A couple of options are applicable to the person who holds the POA.

First, the person processing the payroll may be listed as the Admin and/or Approver (no additional paperwork required). The current Admin/Approver would just need to make that change. If that is not possible due to illness, we will need to consult with our legal and compliance department for approval to make the change.

If the person is not processing payroll and just needs to have questions answered, we can keep the durable POA on file. In such cases, we will create a case number for you for future use so that our Customer Service department has ready access to your case.

You can make this change online and process payroll immediately. You’ll find this option on your dashboard. From the ‘Company’ tab, select ‘Bank’. Click on the ‘Change Bank Account Information’ and make appropriate change/s – paying attention to routing and account numbers. Upon completion, you should receive a ‘Success!’ banner when your changes have been saved. If you have additional questions or concerns about bank account changes, contact Customer Support.

If you have made a mistake with your Employer Identification Number (EIN), such as enrolling with an incorrect EIN, or if you have initiated a legal entity change with the IRS, we can help you fix the error. We will need to know the effective date of the change.

As long as you have no previous tax liabilities, we can enter the new ID into our system. If you do have previous tax liabilities, you will need to submit the tax agency documentation to us with the new ID. If you’re unable to upload the requested documents, you can FAX them to us. Upon receipt and review for accuracy, we can typically make this change within 24 hours following submission of documents.

For additional questions or concerns, contact Customer Support.

An Employer Identification Number (EIN) change may be made if you supplied the wrong EIN when enrolling or if a legal entity change has occurred with the IRS. You need to submit the state agency notice through the ‘Contact Us’ tab in your payroll account. Once the proper documents have been received, we are typically able to complete this process within 24 hours of submission.

If you need to change the company bank account that we have on file for collection of fees, taxes, or direct deposit monies, contact Customer Support. We will need additional information to make this change. You will not be able to fund payroll until the bank change has been completed. In most cases, this change will be completed within 48 hours following submission of the Deposit Account Verification (DAV) form.

A new request for a credit or a refund must be submitted and assessed by our team pending approval or rejection. An email will be sent to you informing you of the approval or rejection. You will be able to view a list of pending/approved/rejected requests by following the ‘Custom Links’ in your classic view sidebar, as well as some information about the request/s. Upon either (approval or rejection) you will receive an email with details.

If you need to request a credit or refund approval or you have additional questions about the process, contact Customer Support.

One-day or expedited payroll functionality is available online for SunTrust clients if you miss your payroll deadline or you need to process an unscheduled next-day payroll. The only exception is if you, as a SunTrust client, are NOT eligible. You can determine this by checking to see if the next day is available. If not, please call Customer Support.

Although we make every effort to process such requests, we cannot guarantee that the payroll will be processed on time. Be aware that the fee for this is non-refundable and you must be available for a call that day if any questions regarding the special processing should arise.

If you are an authorized contact and cannot log in or cannot do so through the ‘Forgot your password?’ link, call Customer Support. Once we verify that you are an authorized contact, we can take care of the password reset for you. We will send you an email with a temporary password and once you log in, you can reset your own password.

State tax agencies require employers to register their business and obtain an EIN in order to pay and file their taxes. This number is supposed to be entered into your payroll account. If it isn’t and you want us to adjust this, contact Customer Support and we will help you. We will need to verify that you have registered with your state agency. Documentation will be required to verify this. Be aware that for tax agencies that require this information, you will be charged a fee for Missing EINs.

SurePayroll is an online payroll company founded in 2000. We support online payroll services for employers with 1 to 100 employees.

For any changes to the payroll administrator or Approver, please contact Customer Support. You will be asked a number of caller verification security questions. For security purposes, we will need to call you back via the phone number listed on the account. You must answer the call in order to proceed.

Following appropriate verification, we will be able to make this change for you.

Certainly! If you’re new to SurePayroll and have questions or concerns about the payroll process, call Customer Support. We can walk you through the process: from Begin payroll, to entries, previews and confirmation.

Yes, we can help you with that. First, we’ll need to verify that the account is still active. Next, you will need to complete new enrollment forms: a Payroll Services Agreement (PSA) with Deposit Account Verification (DAV) and required POAs. We will need to process this paperwork prior to the change but the process will begin as soon as requested documents are received. In most cases, we can take care of this within 48 hours.

If you have a change in executive management, have sold or merged with another business or company, and are keeping your current Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN) OR if it will change, please contact us so we can make the necessary adjustments to your payroll account. Do be aware that the changes may take anywhere from 2-4 weeks, depending on submission of necessary paperwork from federal or state agencies for verification. If you have questions or concerns about this process, contact Customer Support.

Among the most common reasons for log-in failure is use of the wrong username and/or password. Be aware that you have up to 6 attempts to log in before you’re locked out of the account. If you believe you or your employee are using the correct log-in username and password and still can’t access your account, call Customer Support. We can walk you through a number of steps to determine the issue.

Your FEIN may have been changed for any number of reasons. If you have received a new FEIN, you will need to follow the ‘New Client’ procedure with our Sales department for a new enrollment. We will verify that the account is still active. We will be able to make the changes for you, although during this period, you may not be able to process payroll. Completion typically takes 24 to 48 hours.

In order to utilize the 1-Day Debit function, you must first initiate payroll on the payroll entry. In addition you must be on a 2 or 5-day schedule and have missed your payroll approval deadline. Be aware that in order to access this function, you must have run (processed) a minimum of 6 regularly scheduled payrolls in the past (with us) and you cannot have any Non-Sufficient Funds (NSFs) within the past 6 months.

For additional information regarding 1-day debits/payrolls, contact Customer Support.

A number of scenarios are applicable when changes to a company or business management team occurs, through illness or death. Options depend on whether a purchase of the company has taken place, or a changeover in management has occurred, yet the Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN) stays the same.

Another scenario is if the company has been purchased and received a new FEIN. In such cases, you will need to follow the ‘New Client’ procedure with our Sales department for a new enrollment.

Did the company or business initiate a legal entity change with the IRS? If so, you will need to follow the Entity Change Procedure. Contact Customer Support and we will help you with the process.

If an executive has become ill and will no longer be making active decisions or has passed away, please contact Customer Support and we will put you in touch with the appropriate procedures for making a change.

One Day Debit is a tool to process ACH and post transactions on the next day as long as the payroll is processed within the One Day Debit timeline.

‘Normal’ ACH is the preferred solution for processing payroll, while it is suggested that One Day Debit is  used only for emergency payrolls and/or Same Day debits.

If you don’t provide SurePayroll with a valid Tax ID by the end of the quarter, we won’t be able to remit your tax returns or payments to the tax agency. We will refund any monies collected at the end of the quarter but you’ll be responsible for remittance of these payments and returns as well as any penalties and interest accrued for missing or late payments and filings. Once you provide us with a valid Tax ID, we will pay and file future quarters.

The Payroll Services Agreement (PSA) is only used for certain procedures where either a new PSA is required or the online version has a different contact or different company information. For questions or concerns about the PSA, contact Customer Support.

You have the options of submitting a One Day Debit or Payroll online until the 4:00 CST cutoff. Any overrides are subject to approval by SurePayroll and you must have funds available. You may be requested to provide bank contact information to verify funds available. For additional questions or concerns about 1-Day Debits/Payrolls, contact Customer Support.

SurePayroll utilizes Paychex Tax Filing System as the authorized third party agent for tax filing purposes. You are not charged any fees for this. Any organization that receives payment from us is required to register as per email requests in order for us to be able to pay and file taxes on your behalf. The agency may also notify you by email for approval to access your online unemployment insurance account for tax filing information.

Order of priority is determined by the order in which the accounts are set up. For example, the first account entered into the system will be the primary account and the last one set up will be the remainder of the check. If you want to adjust the order or if the order is not correct, contact Customer Support and we can help you with this issue.

You can do part of the process yourself but you will need to submit a signed absolution letter. First, log in to your payroll account. Enter and preview the new payroll, then contact Customer Support. Our team will then enter a payroll change note to correct the check date. You will be debited for the new payroll as usual. If you have passed the payroll deadline, contact Customer Support before you do anything.

Absolution letters are required for any adjustments, amendments, and payroll change notes that have the same day check dates or backed checked dates. In most cases, these will also be considered an automatic late tax deposit.

Note that any payroll with $100,000 in tax liability requires a next-day deposits status and is automatically late and is therefore the client’s responsibility.

If you can’t access or find your W-2, you may have a block on your account, for a number of different reasons:

  • You may not have earned enough wages in the current year to generate a Form W-2.
  • If you did not pay the fee for the W-2 form/s, those fees must be paid before any forms are posted online.
  • If your fees for the W-2/s were returned for non-sufficient funds (NSF), you need to pay those fees before the block can be removed.

If you cannot access your W-2s for any reason and you’re not sure why, contact Customer Support.

Typically, you’ll have three options: a partial hours rollover, an all hours rollover, or a zero hours rollover. You also have an option to edit based on benefits earned or used during this period. SurePayroll does not support an automatic rollover on a different date or time of the year. For rollover benefits questions or steps to take for a new calendar year, please contact Customer Support.

In order to complete setting up your account and start payroll services, you must designate Paychex as your Third Party Administrator (TPA) with the agency so that we can pay and file your taxes. This is usually resolved within 24 hours. We will contact you within 7 days to confirm that you have made this change. If you have additional questions or concerns about TPA, please contact Customer Support.

Employer Retirement Plan contributions do not appear on W-2 forms.

We can take care of this for you. However, we’ll need some information, such as your name and contact information. After verification by a supervisor, you’ll receive an email with instructions for logging in and setting your own password. Once you’ve logged in, click on the ‘Welcome’ icon next to you name. Select ‘User Profile’ and then click on ‘Edit Account Information’. Enter the correct information and then click ‘Save’.

If you have any additional questions about processing your first payroll, let us know via Customer Support and we’ll walk you through it.

You can verify routing numbers/bank information for checks through the Federal Reserve. If you have any additional questions about your checks, routing numbers/account/check numbers, call your banking institution.

If you need to make a change in bank account information, first check to see if you can make the change in the Company Profile. If an employee wants to change a bank account for direct deposit, they can make this change in the Employee Profile. 

Be aware that some clients (based on partner code) can only use bank accounts at their listed bank from which to debit funds. Others may only have this option if they have processed a payroll before or the account is ready for payroll entry.

If you have further questions, please contact Customer Support and we’ll help you with this.

Customer - Agriculture

We pay your Federal, State, and local taxes based on deposit frequency. We also file quarterly and annual filings, including Federal Form 943 (annually). Form 943 filings replace the Federal Form 941 quarterly filing.

As of 9/9/2019, new agriculture earnings (commodity wages) will be supported on our system. Commodity compensation is not subject to employee or employer taxes but the wages are reported in Boxes 1 and 15 on the W2 form. Commodity earnings are reported in Box 14.

If you need help setting up your new Agriculture Payroll account, contact Customer Support.

Commodity ‘wages’ are non-taxable compensation to agricultural workers for items like food, lodging, and other goods or commodities. The compensation is used for reporting purposes and does not add to net pay.

Commodity compensation is not subject to either employees or employer taxes but the wages are reported in Boxes 1 and 15 on the employee W2 Form. Commodity earnings are to be reported in Box 14 of the W2 form.

If you need help setting up your new Agriculture Payroll account, contact Customer Support.

Yes! SurePayroll supports agricultural payrolls for businesses that employ farmworkers and/or need to file IRS Form 943. SurePayroll will calculate, pay, and file the appropriate taxes for your agricultural payroll. We will pay Federal, State, and local taxes based on deposit frequency and file quarterly and annually. If you have additional questions regarding Agricultural Payroll services, contact Customer Support.

Customer - Clergy

We abide by the rules and definitions provided by the IRS. The IRS defines minister income as that paid in a salary or other earnings based on the duties required by the religious organization. Employer, employee social security, Medicare, FUTA and SUI are not withheld on a minister’s paycheck when using clergy earnings.

You – the client – determines if you will use clergy earnings. Such earnings can be set up in the product/payroll account. If you have questions about Clergy payrolls, contact Customer Support.

Federal and state taxes may be withheld for ministers using the Clergy-Taxable earning option. Ministers may be required to pay their own Self-Employed Contributions Act Tax (SECA) when they file their personal income tax. This service is not supported by SurePayroll. Consult with your accountant regarding SECA.

SurePayroll does not offer legal or tax advice. We do support housing allowances on the W-2 tax form (Box 14) but our system does not support parsonage allowances. For questions or issues regarding clergy housing/expenses, visit resources available at or contact Customer Support.

If you’re having trouble with your Clergy payroll, contact Customer Support. We will help you troubleshoot any issue/s. Among other things, we can help you verify exemption from taxes, housing allowances, paid expenses or other earnings, as well as paid non-taxable earnings.

The non-taxable clergy payroll is used to pay clerics and/or ministers as defined by IRS Publication 517. Clergy earnings include salary/wages, income from offerings and fees received for services performed. It also includes non-accountable travel and auto allowances.

However, clergy earnings should not include reimbursements or money used toward taxable, non-accountable expenses such as child care.

By law, Social Security and Medicare cannot be withheld from cleric’s earnings even if the cleric requests the employer to do so. This earning type also does not withhold federal and state or local taxes, which clerics may elect to withhold.

For additional information regarding 2019 Earnings and Deductions for Church payroll processes, contact Customer Support.

The taxable clergy payroll is used to pay Federal and State taxes based on IRS Publication 517. By law, Social Security and Medicare are never withheld from cleric’s earnings. This earning type is used to pay clerics that voluntarily want to withhold federal income tax (FIT) and state income tax (SIT) from their earnings.

Non-taxable. A housing allowance is provided to a cleric for use toward the cost of retaining and maintaining the residence the cleric owns and resides in. It may be the fair rental value of the cleric’s residence or an allowance used toward mortgage or rent payments. The amount may include utilities and other costs related to maintaining the residence.

Note: A housing allowance is never taxed. Not even for FICA, Medicare, state or federal income tax. It is also not considered a ‘fringe benefit’.

Because of special taxation guidelines of clergy earnings, SurePayroll offers three specific clergy-earnings types in regard to income: Clergy-Housing Allowance, Clergy-Taxable, and Clergy-Non-Taxable. For more information about these earning types for clergy, review IRS Publication 517 for clarification.

For information regarding our system support for these types of clergy earnings and your payroll or where to insert this information into a W-2 form, contact Customer Support.

Customer - Payroll & Taxes

In order to request a sales tax rate change, you will need to submit to us something in writing from the state agency with the correct sales tax rate. You will also need to verify the company’s legal address in our system.  We will verify sales tax calculations (discounted fees will reduce the sales tax amount). This process is typically achieved within 24-48 hours.

Consumers are required to pay applicable state taxes on top of, and at a certain percentage of, the sales price of the taxable goods and/or services they buy. Since SurePayroll makes our software available to our clients to use at any time, SurePayroll is required to collect and pay sales tax on certain fees charged to clients in order to remain compliant with state government requirements.

SurePayroll is required to collect and pay sales tax for clients with businesses in applicable states. Sales tax information is made available on customer (new and existing) invoice reports found in the client’s Dashboard as they are updated and released. This ensures that SurePayroll remains compliant with state tax boards. To date, applicable states include: AZ, CT, DC, HI, MA, NM, NY, OH, PA, RI, SC, SD, TX, UT, WA, and WV.

For additional information, contact our Customer Care department.

Overtime pay is calculated at 1.5 times an employee’s regular rate of pay for all hours worked over 40 hours in a work week. The employer defines each work week (Monday through Sunday, or Sunday through Saturday, etc.) and any overtime is calculated by each individual’s work week.

Overtime does not include sick, vacation, personal or holiday time but is based on 40 actual hours worked.

States have different laws regarding overtime. If state laws for overtime differ from federal laws, the option that most benefits the employee is required for use.

To determine overtime, multiply the regular pay rate by 1.5, then multiply by the number of overtime hours worked in order to determine overtime pay due. The overtime due is added to the earnings and is part of total gross wages.

Example: An employee worked 48 hours Sunday through Saturday at a regular rate of $20 per hour.

48 hours @ $20 per hour = $800 earned

Overtime due = $20 x 1.5 = $30 x 8 OT hours = $240

Total gross wages = $800 + $240 = $1040

SurePayroll allows customers to enter multiple rates if they choose.

SurePayroll does not use Federal Identification Numbers for payment purposes to 1099s. If a worker is classified as an ‘Independent Contractor’ (1099), no taxes will be withheld by the employer.

1099s use the person’s Social Security Number for payment purposes. The Independent Contractor is responsible for paying self-employment taxes at the end of the year when filing their personal taxes.

A 1099-M will be issued at the end of the year for tax filing purposes.

Contact Customer Support and we can take care of this for you. We will need to see a copy of the statement provided by the employee’s insurance company, as well as the employee’s name, the amount of Social Security withheld and paid, any Medicare amount withheld and paid, and the net amount paid to the employee.

Be aware that employer taxes for Social Security, Medicare, FUTA, and SUI (unless wage base limit is met) for this check will be withdrawn with your next payroll.

We are typically able to complete this task within 24 hours, and this change will show up on the next payroll.

A reimbursement check is a form of compensation for out-of-pocket expenses incurred by an employee in the performance of his or her work-related duties, such as travel expenses. Such reimbursements are not considered as part of the employee’s total compensation. Such amounts only display on internal reports and are not reported to federal or state agencies.

A final check is the last paycheck rendered to an employee who is leaving the job either of their own free will or has been terminated. Be aware that the Department of Labor (DOL) specifies that some states have certain requirements regarding an employee’s final paycheck. Some of those specifications include Payment on Discharge and Payment on Voluntary Termination. Visit the DOL for additional information on this process.

A commission check is considered a supplemental wage paid to an employee or agent of a company or business outside of their regular wages. Check with the IRS regarding withholding taxes on commission checks. If you have additional questions, contact Customer Support.

When a regular payroll is voided, the voided tax amount reduces the new tax liability from the regular payroll. However, if the void is done by itself and there is no regular or extra payroll, one of two options will occur based on situation.

In some cases, we refund any tax monies applicable. To initiate the tax refund before the deposit date, a form will need to be submitted and approved by a supervisor. In other cases, tax payments will still be made to the agencies based on deposit due date. Customers will need to contact the agency for a refund or to determine if the agency has issued a credit toward future liability.

Please call Customer Support for additional information regarding these options.

A number of issues are applicable to a tax filing address change. One of them is a physical move to another location - tax withholding and tax filings need to have the correct address. Or, you may merely need a correction in your current tax filing address. To make any changes of company address for tax filing purposes, first contact and verify with the IRS or state agencies before making any changes in our system.

SurePayroll supports mailing or PO Box addresses only.

If you have received documentation from the IRS with the new address, you can make the change in your payroll account yourself under Company>Contact Information.

If you have changed states, you’ll also need to update employee files with the new work location. This may have an impact on local taxes that may require adjustments or amendments.

For any changes you need that cannot be done yourself under the Contact Information tab, call Customer Support.  We can help you make this change but will require appropriate prior documentation from the IRS for confirmation.

From your Dashboard, click ‘Print Checks’. If you’ve not done this before, you’ll be directed to the ‘Check Templates’ screen so you can choose which style you want. Follow these steps:

  1. Select the check template design you want from the blank check stock or pre-printed options. For the blank check option, you’ll need to specify if you want your company’s legal name or ‘Doing Business As’ (DBA) name to display on the check.
  2. After selection has been made, click the ‘Print Test Check’ button. The PDF generated should be printed out on a sheet of blank paper. Compare it to the check stock you chose to make sure fields line up correctly. If aligned, click ‘Save Template’. If not, click the ‘Adjust Alignment’ and print again. You can make adjustments by using the directional buttons. Note: Make sure the PDF reader is printing in ‘Actual Size’ and not ‘Fit to Page’ or fields will not align. Click the ‘Print Test Check’ button again to make sure all is aligned correctly. When aligned, click ‘Save Template’.
  3. You’ll be taken to the Pay Period selection screen. Click on the ‘Print’ button for the pay period you want.
  4. Enter the starting check number (this must be a number).
  5. Select the check/s you want to print using the checkboxes to the left and then click the ‘Print Selected’ button. If you want to print all the checks, click ‘Print All’.
  6. A PDF will generate. Open the file and print it to your check stock.
  7. You will then be taken to the ‘Reprint Checks’ screen so you can reprint any checks if needed.

You’re done!

If you have any additional questions or issues, contact Customer Support.

If you don’t pay or submit information into the system to print out a check in a timely manner, you will need to print out an additional or ‘missed check’ so the employee can be paid.

Yes. This is called an ‘Alternate Pay Frequency’ check.

Yes. If you receive a notice from the IRS regarding Federal filing type, please notify us so that we ensure we’re filing the correct Federal form. Please also inform us if the notice indicates that you are a Form 941, 943, or 944 filer. We can make this change for you within 24 hours following your submission of the IRS notice via the ‘Contact Us’ tab in your payroll account. You may also call Customer Support for instructions.

If you notice such an error on your payroll preview, please contact Customer Support. We will walk you through this issue so that your payroll will run on time.

Employers and employees may have different tax obligations in regard to exemptions, wage thresholds, withholding, and so forth. If you have processed at least one payroll, we can make status changes based on your request. However, before contacting Customer Support, please refer to our Legal or Tax Advice Disclaimer notice.

A One-Day Debit is a tool that enables a client to process ACH and post transactions on the next day if the payroll is processed within the One-Day Debit timeline. While a ‘normal’ ACH is often the preferred solution for processing payroll, One-Day Debit is preferred for emergency payrolls.

Certain guidelines apply to One-Day Debit functions and exceptions. For additional information about your eligibility to run a One Day Debit payroll, or other flexible payroll options, contact Customer Support.

A mistake on a Direct Deposit may occur for a variety of reasons: incorrect amount, wrong check date, duplicate payment, inadvertent payment, or incorrect bank account number. A reversal cannot be cancelled or stopped if the deposit has been submitted to the bank. Most deposit reversals are successful when requests are submitted the day before or on the check date. In other circumstances, some paperwork is needed. For any questions about reversing a Direct Deposit, please contact Customer Support.

If you need to void a payroll for any reason, call Customer Support immediately so we can help you through the process. The sooner you let us know, the better.

SurePayroll has a number of ways for employers to calculate benefit accrual or time off, based on your company policy. One option is to allow employees to receive the total time up-front for the year like a salaried employee. Or you can set it up so your employees accrue a certain number of hours per pay period. Call Customer Support and we can guide you through the process as well as how to enter those benefits into payroll. 

Yes. SurePayroll enables a feature where you can set the default employee pay amounts and the payroll will process automatically based on the payroll schedule in your payroll account. You will find the settings under ‘Payroll Entry’. Be aware that you will need to meet some eligibility requirements. For additional information or questions, contact Customer Support.

Yes! If you receive any kind of a tax notice from a taxing agency, it means there is an issue with either payroll tax deposits or tax filing issues, or both. You may even note an amount for a tax penalty or interest (known as P&I).

A few such notice types may include a no P&I, with P&I, Missing Filing, Missing EIN, state withholding tax, filer type changes, and so forth.  Call Customer Support immediately if you receive such a notice. Our team will research the issue and work with the notifying agency on a resolution.

The most common scenario for tax exemption is a 501-c status or other federal or state exemption/s. If you have received a confirmation letter indicating that you are exempt from certain taxes, we will need a copy of that in order to make the change. In most cases, this change can be completed with 24 hours following receipt of confirmation. Contact Customer Support for any tax notices or exemptions you receive so we can take care of these matters promptly.

If you have had a tax exemption in the past but are no longer eligible for such a status, we can make the change for you. We will need something in writing that indicates the tax, the tax status, and the effective date of the change. Contact Customer Support for additional information in making this change.

Yes. Call Customer Support and we’ll be able to check that for you.

By mid-December, SurePayroll sends out an email through our system to every client regarding information about W-2 and 1099 form fees. The email will include information such as the number of W-2s and 1099s you’ve been charged for, and the date the amount will be debited from your account. For any questions about these fees, contact Customer Support.

You’ll find a variety of ‘minutes to decimal’ conversion charts online. Simply type ‘minutes to decimal conversion charts’ into your favorite search bar and you’ll find numerous options to print one. Of course, you can always contact Customer Support to help you with this also.

Availability of funds vary based on each bank’s funding rules. Banks are required to post direct deposits by the end of their processing day. In some cases, deposits will post by 5:00 p.m., but that differs among banking institutions.

You can mark Sick Pay for Box 13 on W2 Preview from your dashboard. First, log into your account and click on the W2 Preview banner. Click on the Preview W2s and 1099s. On your company contact information page, click Save and continue. On the 1099 filing options page, make your preferred selection and then click Save and continue. Under Employee Reports click ‘Preview’ for the employee that needs the Third Party Sick Pay marked. On the ‘Verify W2’ page, make any changes. Under ‘Changes to W-2 Box 13’ select ‘Employee received sick pay under employer’s 3rd party insurance party’. Click Save and continue.

Repeat this process (under the Employee Reports page) for any additional employees. Be aware that you need to select this option before W2s and 1099s are posted online or you will be charged for the change.

You may have received such a notice for a variety of reasons. First, we’ll want to know which agency the tax notice is from (IRS, State Dept. or Revenue, State Unemployment, etc.). We’ll need to know the quarter or year that the notice refers to and what the notice says.

We will research and work toward a resolution with the tax agency issue if you receive such a notice while you are a client with SurePayroll. You are required to call Customer Support immediately if you receive a tax notice. Be aware that actual resolutions with a tax agency can take up to six weeks.

Yes. You can set your payroll to bi-weekly, such as every other Friday, meaning that your employees will be paid every other week or 26 times a year.

A number of issues may result in necessary tax adjustments. Among them include state unemployment insurance (SUI) rates, which is fairly common in the 1st quarter. State-based assessment codes and surcharges are also a possibility. The number of voided checks on your account, invalid POA’s, invalid or missing IDs, and amendments and adjustments are just a few examples of scenarios that may result in tax discrepancies. For additional information about quarter-end tax liabilities, contact Customer Support.

Call Customer Support and we will help you take care of this.

If you’ve missed the payroll deadline or need to schedule a payroll for approval today, contact Customer Support. We will need to submit the request to the Finance department. Please be aware that verification of payroll deadline for approvals is 4:00 p.m. CST.

If you experience any issues with your Payroll Preview page, such as all zeros, contact Customer Support and we’ll troubleshoot the problem together. First, we always advice that you write down or save the payroll information outside of the system, such as onto your desktop.  We’ll guide you through General Troubleshooting tasks.

If the General Troubleshooting steps fail to rectify the situation, we’ll ask you to click the Reset button on the Payroll Entry page and re-enter the data. Check the Payroll Preview page to see if the situation has resolved.

If that still does not resolve the issue, we may need to have you rebuild the payroll schedule, found under the Company>Schedule tab. Follow online prompts. Once your schedule is re-built, return to the Payroll Entry page and re-enter the data. Check the Payroll Preview page to see if the issue has resolved.

If you’re still having issues following these steps, we’ll connect you with our IT department.

In order to add or change a payroll that has a check date in a prior closed quarter in the current year, you need to obtain an absolution letter (based on your partner code). Please contact Customer Support and we will guide you through the process.

In order to add or change a payroll that has a check date in the current quarter, you will need to obtain an absolution letter if tax payments are past due. Please contact Customer Support and we will guide you through the process.

If you need to make corrections or changes such as adding, removing, or changing items such as wages, earnings, deductions, or taxes, determine if you can make those corrections on the web. A number of corrections can be made by clients, such as but not limited to:

Employee check paid in error

Employee not paid (regular wages or 1099 wages)

Changing pretax retirement amounts

Adding or removing taxable earning amount

You may access such changes from your Dashboard: under regular check/additional check/void check.

If you have questions or concerns about this function, contact Customer Support. We’ll be happy to guide you through this process.

Contact Customer Support in regard to any errors or mistakes on your tax filing forms. In most cases, changes can be made within 24 to 48 hours.

If you have applied for, and been approved by a state or federal agency for exemption (mainly applicable to 501s-3 entities), you need to submit a copy of the approval to us. We can make the change for you. Depending on the effective date of the exemption, payroll adjustments or amendments may be required. In most cases, we are able to make the appropriate changes within 24 hours.

If you need to remove a payroll, contact Customer Support and we can process the request for you.

‘Undo’ deadlines are at 9:10 a.m., 2:10 p.m., and 4:10 p.m. on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday.

‘Undo’ deadlines on Wednesday are 9:10 a.m., 11:10 a.m., 2:10 p.m., and 4:10 p.m.

In most cases, this action can be completed within four hours. Following the ‘undo’ function, please verify that the new payroll has the correct check date and that the payment schedule is correct.

Customer - Product

Time Clock Integration ensures accuracy when submitting payroll and works with existing time clock systems. Registering for Time Clock Integration is optional. To get started, click on ‘Time Clock Integration’ under the Company tab. You’ll find it listed under ‘Other’. If you have questions about Time Clock Integration, contact Customer Support.

If you’re a SURE client trying to log into your account, you need to use the secured URL at You can also find this information in the SurePayroll Product Guide.

The URL is our marketing website. Prospects and customers/employees can also log in there but it is advised to use the secured URL. If you have additional questions about log-in issues, please contact Customer Support.

SurePayroll takes security seriously. We take several steps to verify the identity of the caller. From first and last name to username, authorized contacts, last 4 digits on SSN listed on account, to other verification questions as needed, we ensure that your privacy and your account are protected. For more detailed information about our enhanced security measures at SurePayroll, contact Customer Support.

SurePayroll takes security seriously. In addition to our account verification requirements, we immediately investigate any suspicious activity on our system. Our data center is armed and monitored 24/7 and our web servers use the strongest available security (128 bit SSL and 256 bit on supported browsers). We utilize multiple firewall layers as well as intrusion detection and anti-viral technical measures.

MFA Voice was released May 30, 2019 to provide enhanced security for employees, administration, or approvers who are currently SMS text-enabled. The update to Voice allows a client to receive a verification code via a phone call rather than an email message. This reduces risks and also allows the user to select how they would like to receive the Verification Code/OTP within the Enhanced Security process. You still have the option to receive the code via voice, text, or both.

You can set up MFA Voice options yourself. After you log into your account, a number of contact methods available will appear on your screen. Choose which method you prefer. If email is enabled, you’ll see options such as: phone call, text message, or Email.

We suggest a phone call for enhanced security. If more than one phone number is set up for the user and verified, all numbers will appear on your screen.

You will be taken to a screen to enter the Verification Code you received via automated phone call. The number displayed on your phone will be +1 (714) 707-3260 (Silverado, CA).

Enter the code and click ‘Submit Code’. You’ll be taken to your account dashboard.

The verification code comes in within 5 seconds. The phone call will display as Silverado, CA with the phone number +1 (714) 707-3260. The call is not branded. You’ll hear a voice message that says ‘Thank you for using our phone verification system. Your code is XXXXXX. Once again, your code is XXXXXX. Good-bye.’ The call is then disconnected.

The code is valid for 30 minutes. If you enter the wrong verification code, you will receive an error message and can request a new call.

Mobile Secure ID is used to authenticate a caller when they are not logged into their payroll account. We need a secure ID to ensure we are speaking with an authorized contact. The added security feature was added in May 2019. You will also be asked a number of questions, such as: username, last 4 digits of your Social Security Number, and the names of up to two employees on your last payroll. Upon calling Customer Support or other departments, you will be sent a Secure ID as long as you are MFA SMS text enabled (SMS or phone call).

For other questions about Mobile Secure ID, call Customer Support.

SurePayroll takes security seriously. It is for this reason that we initiated verification codes via a phone text or call rather than email. However, we understand that at times your carrier may not support this function, or you don’t have access to your phone, or you’re traveling outside the country. If you want to switch from phone to email verification, you need to call Customer Support. You will need to acknowledge and confirm the SMS Disclaimer we will send you before we can make the change. Following receipt of the confirmation, we can make this change for you within 24 to 48 hours.

If at any time you have trouble accessing your account, call Customer Support immediately for a resolution. Be aware that Auto Payroll will not process any scheduled payrolls while the account is locked.

SurePayroll takes security seriously. Our enhanced security measures are designed to protect your information and your account processes with the latest technology. While you have the option to wait on the update, that option won’t last forever. You will eventually need to enroll in the updated Entrust Security policies program. That means you may need to create a stronger password (minimum 10 characters in length) to ensure that your company and employee information is as secure as possible. For more information about our enhanced security procedures, contact Customer Support.

Users will get locked out of their account after 6 failed password tries. With the update for Enhanced Security, you may not be able to reset on your own using the ‘Forgot Password’ on your login screen unless you’re the Admin or Approver. Click on the Forgot Username/Password on the login screen and enter requested information. You’ll receive a verification code. Enter that code and then set a new password. If you’re still having trouble, call Customer Support for assistance.

Yes. If your device is not registered, you will see a ‘Verification Required’ pop-up. Click on the ‘Send Verification Code’ on the bottom of the screen. You can choose the mobile phone number on which to receive a text with a verification code. Enter the code in the box and proceed. If you have trouble logging in for any reason, call Customer Support.

If you have any technical issues, or just aren’t sure how something in your dashboard works, call Customer Support. We respond quickly to issues. If our Customer Support desk can’t troubleshoot the problem with you, we will refer you to our Tech Support Department.

SurePayroll is dedicated to providing high-quality and timely customer support for our clients. Any time we are contacted by you to address supporting or missing documents for payroll services, wages, banking information, or other legal matters, we open a TASK form to ensure that your query has been noted and that we follow up appropriately with resolving your issue.

Once the matter has been resolved or the required request of the client (example: missing or incorrect information) has been completed and the issue resolved, we close the TASK. Contact Customer Support with any questions you have about our customer care services or processes.

Yes! However, if you ever need any help with anything please don’t hesitate to contact Customer Support. We always strive to ensure that tax filings are completed quickly and accurately. Among tasks you can complete yourself online include adjustments for:

An employee paid in error or not paid (regular or 1099 wages)

Adding, removing, or changing a pre-tax or post-task retirement amount

Adjustments to company match amounts for retirement

Adding, changing, or removing taxable or non-taxable earning amounts

Adding taxable Third Party Sick Pay

Adding, removing o changing a pre-tax or post-tax deduction amount

You can complete adjustments with either a regular check or additional check and/or the void check options. For additional questions regarding online adjustments, contact Customer Support.

SurePayroll offers clients a step-by-step walkthrough of our Help Icon processes. The icon is a “?” found at the bottom of the right side of the page. You can review a number of template issues listed or enter a topic that you’re looking for. The Help icon will prompt you through the process. A number of questions or issues can be accessed through the Help icon, such as:

How do I add an additional check?

I need a report for a specific month.

How do I pay bonus checks to my employees along with my regular payroll?

If you don’t find the answers you’re looking for, contact Customer Support. We’ll be glad to help answer your questions.

SurePayroll offers a number of options for payroll and checks within our platform. Among them include: pay period dates, check dates, pay frequency, pay schedule, regular payroll, extra payroll, void checks, and void checks with reduced tax liability.

We also include options for additional checks, such as: regular, commission, missed check, final check, alternate pay frequency, custom income tax, reimbursement, 2% S-Corp, and third party sick pay.

Customer - Year End

SurePayroll is ready for your end-of-year payroll requests! Common queries we receive include but are not limited to filing the last payroll of the year, bonus payrolls, fringe benefit payrolls, and 1099 payrolls. For any questions you have as you head into your 4th quarter and the end of the current year and our payroll services, contact Customer Support.

You have options based on your situation. Be aware that in some cases, absolution letters will be required for certain adjustments, amendments, and payroll changes based on situation. Call Customer Support to answer any questions or concerns about missed payrolls.

No. While SurePayroll does not offer legal or tax advice, we can define common types of 1099 forms identified by the IRS. For example, the 1099-MISC is used to report all payments made to an independent contractor by a business during the tax year. Each independent contractor receives their own 1099-MISC form.

The 1099-INT is used for interest income, and the 1099-DIV is used for distributions and dividends. Form 1009-B is used for proceeds from broker/barter exchanges and transactions.

For additional questions regarding 1099 forms, visit or contact Customer Support.