What are the 5 Most Common Small Businesses?
As an entrepreneur with an interest in starting a small business, you have hundreds upon hundreds of options. While some choose to take a “path less traveled,” others get involved with an industry that has been proven popular over the years.
With approximately 30 million small businesses in the United States, there is no escaping the competition. Regardless of the industry you choose, it is likely that there are a few competitors waiting on you. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, as a high level of competition means the market has plenty to offer.
Below is a list of five of the most common small businesses in the United States:
- Bookkeeping. Companies and individuals alike require bookkeeping services. From payroll to tax preparation, professional assistance is often times required. This demand has turned bookkeeping into one of the most common small businesses in the country.
- Car repair. While many people take their vehicle to the dealership for repair, others realize they are better off with a local mechanic. From maintenance to repairs to basic advice, car repair shops are always in high demand.
- Computer repair. Go back in time 20 years or so and this wasn't a popular industry. In today's world, however, things have changed. Everybody has a computer. Some companies have hundreds or thousands. There are times when it is more cost effective to repair a computer than to buy a new unit.
- Website design. Let's face it: every company needs a website. Those that don't have an online presence are being passed up by the competition. Website designers are in position to achieve success by providing companies of all sizes with a variety of services. Some companies are looking to implement their first website, while others are in need of a redesign.
- Restaurant. Starting a restaurant is a dream many people share. This has been true for quite some time, and probably always will be. Even though many restaurants fail, it doesn't stop people from getting involved.
If you are interested in starting a small business, consider the five ideas above along with any others that suit your skill set, knowledge, and expertise.