The Payroll Blog

News, tips, and advice for small business owners

workplace posters - office with workplace with Federal & State labor law compliance poster posted

Employee Poster Requirements for Your Small Business

Posted On
Stephanie Davis

As a small business owner, there are many legal requirements that you cannot afford to overlook, some of which may be more obvious than others. One which may not come immediately to mind is accurately displaying the employee posters that apply to your business.

The U.S. Department of Labor (DOL) requires that certain notices, by way of poster, be provided to employees in the workplace.

(Note: posting requirements vary from one statute to the next. Not every company is covered by every statute, meaning that your business may not be required to display a specific poster.)

The Many Types of Workplace Posters

There are many types of workplace posters, all of which have a special purpose. Some of the most commonly required posters include the following:

The "Job Safety and Health: It's the Law Poster" is the most well known, with the DOL sharing the following in regards to posting requirements:

"Public agencies (including state, local, and federal employers), public and private elementary and secondary schools, as well as private sector employers who employ 50 or more employees in 20 or more work weeks and who are engaged in commerce or in any industry or activity affecting commerce, including joint employers and successors of covered employers."

Although you may not be required to display all of these posters, you must review the requirements associated with each one to ensure that you're in compliance.

Is Your Business Compliant?

The DOL offers a tool to help small businesses understand if they are in compliance with poster regulations.

The elaws Poster Advisor helps employers determine which posters they are required to display at their place of business.

This helpful tool is also very user friendly. All you have to do is follow the prompts on the screen which will ask questions such as:

  • Do you already know which of the posters / Federal laws administered by the Department of Labor apply to your organization?
  • What best describes the nature of your business or organization?

Once you know which posters you are required to display, you can then download and print directly from the Advisor website.

If you are using a payroll service, you should see if they offer compliance posters and protection as part of your service—for example, SurePayroll provides clients with the ability to generate their specific labor law compliance poster package.

Bottom Line

It may take some time to understand the employee poster requirements for your company, but it's something you will want to do before you hire your first employee and open your doors to the public. By remaining in compliance with the statutes and regulations set forth by the DOL, you won't have to worry about the potential for a citation or penalty in the future.

To learn more about SurePayroll's labor law poster compliance service and the protections we offer small businesses, contact a specialist today: 1-800-900-0781.

SurePayroll, Inc. and its subsidiaries assume no liability and make no warranties on or for the information contained on these state payroll pages. The information presented is intended for reference only and is neither tax nor legal advice. Consult a professional tax, legal or other advisor to verify this information and determine if and/or how it may apply to your particular situation.

This website contains articles posted for informational and educational value. SurePayroll is not responsible for information contained within any of these materials. Any opinions expressed within materials are not necessarily the opinion of, or supported by, SurePayroll. The information in these materials should not be considered legal or accounting advice, and it should not substitute for legal, accounting, and other professional advice where the facts and circumstances warrant. If you require legal or accounting advice or need other professional assistance, you should always consult your licensed attorney, accountant or other tax professional to discuss your particular facts, circumstances and business needs.