Break Even Analysis Calculator

All Fields Required

Break Even Calculator

Cash flow is the lifeblood of any business, an essential asset for your company to support everyday operations. Use this calculator tool to determine whether your present cash flow is enough to cover your needs for payroll, loan payments, inventory purchases, and any other financial draws on your business resources.

Marginal Tax Rate Calculator for 2017
Please view the report to see detailed results in tabular form.


Federal Income Tax Rates
Use the table below to assist you in estimating your federal tax rate.
Filing Status and Income Tax Rates 2017*
Tax Rate Married Filing Jointly or Qualified Widow(er) Single Head of Household Married Filing Separately
10% $0 - $18,650 $0 - $9,325 $0 - $13,350 $0 - $9,325
15% $18,650 - $75,900 $9,325 - $37,950 $13,350 - $50,800 $9,325 - $37,950
25% $75,900 - $153,100 $37,950 - $91,900 $50,800 - $131,200 $37,950 - $76,550
28% $153,100 - $233,350 $91,900 - $191,650 $131,200 - $212,500 $76,550 - $116,675
33% $233,350 - $416,700 $191,650 - $416,700 $212,500 - $416,700 $116,675 - $208,350
35% $416,700 - $470,700 $416,700 - $418,400 $416,700 - $444,550 $208,350 - $235,350
39.6% Over $470,700 Over $418,400 Over $444,550 Over $235,350
*Caution: Do not use these tax rate schedules to figure 2016 taxes. Use only to figure 2017 estimates. Source: Rev. Proc. 2016-55
Wages, salaries, tips, etc.
This is your total taxable income for the year after deductions for retirement contributions such as 401(k)s, IRAs, etc. For tax filing purposes this would be the same as your Adjusted Gross Income (however the calculator is unable to take lower capital gains taxes into consideration).
Filing status
Choose your filing status. Your filing status determines the income levels for your Federal tax bracket. It is also important for calculating your standard deduction, personal exemptions, and deduction phase out incomes. The table below summarizes the five possible filing status choices. It is important to understand that your marital status as of the last day of the year determines your filing status.

Filing Status
Married Filing Jointly If you are married, you are able to file a joint return with your spouse. If your spouse died during the tax year, you are still able to file a joint return for that year. You may also choose to file separately under the status "Married Filing Separately".
Qualified Widow(er) Generally, you qualify for this status if your spouse died during the previous tax year (not the current tax year) and you and your spouse filed a joint tax return in the year immediately prior to their death. You are also required to have at least one dependent child or stepchild for whom you are the primary provider.
Single If you are divorced, legally separated or unmarried as of the last day of the year you should use this status.
Head of Household This is the status for unmarried individuals that pay for more than half of the cost to keep up a home. This home needs to be the main home for the income tax filer and at least one qualifying relative. You can also choose this status if you are married, but didn't live with your spouse at anytime during the last six months of the year. You also need to provide more than half of the cost to keep up your home and have at least one dependent child living with you.
Married Filing Separately If you are married, you have the choice to file separate returns. The filing status for this option is "Married Filing Separately".

For 2017, the standard deductions are:

Standard Deduction for 2017 Federal Income Tax
Filing Status Standard Deduction
Married Filing Joint $12,700
Qualified Widow(er) $12,700
Single $6,350
Heads of Household $9,350
Married Filing Separately $6,350
Are you someone's dependent?
Choose 'no' if no one can claim you or your spouse as a dependent. Choose 'yes' if someone can claim you as a dependent. Choose 'both you and your spouse if you both are dependents. (You are a dependent if someone supports you and can claim a dependency exemption for you.)
Number of additional dependents
A dependent is someone you support and for whom you can claim a dependency exemption. In 2017, each dependent you claim entitles you to receive a $4,050 reduction in your taxable income.
Dependents qualifying for child tax credit
You may be entitled to a child tax credit for each qualifying child who was under age 17 at the end of the year if you claimed an exemption for that child. The credit is, however, phased out at higher incomes.
Itemized deductions
This is the total of your itemized deductions that you can include on schedule A of your Federal income taxes. For most people this includes state income taxes paid for the year, interest on a mortgage and any charitable contributions. Other itemized deductions include certain investment expenses, medical expenses exceeding 7.5% of your adjusted gross income, and some moving expenses.

Your standard deduction will be automatically calculated for you based on the filing status and number of dependents you enter. If the number you enter here is lower, your standard deduction will be used to determine your average tax rate.

Benefits of Using a Payroll Calculator 

There are many benefits of using a payroll calculator, including the ability to estimate your paycheck in advance. You can also use the same tool to calculate hypothetical changes, such as withholding more money from each paycheck or increasing your retirement contributions. 

Another benefit of a salary paycheck calculator is its ability to answer questions regarding your finances accurately. Examples include: 

How do you calculate take-home pay? 

A paycheck calculator allows you to quickly and accurately calculate take-home pay. It’s a simple four-step process: 

  • Determine your taxable income by deducting pre-tax contributions 
  • Withhold all applicable local, state, and federal taxes 
  • Deduct post-tax contributions 
  • Deduct any additional withholdings, such as wage garnishment 

The result is your take-home pay (or net income). 

How much tax is taken out of a paycheck? 

This varies from person to person and location to location. For example, the more money you earn, the more you pay in taxes. Additionally, state income tax rates vary.  

Take these steps to determine how much tax is taken out of a paycheck: 

  • Review current tax brackets to calculate federal income tax. 
  • Calculate Federal Insurance Contribution Act (FICA) taxes using this year’s Medicare. 
  • Determine if state income tax and local income tax apply.  
  • Divide the sum of all taxes by your gross pay. 

These steps will leave you with the percentage of taxes deducted from your paycheck.  

How do you calculate annual income? 

To calculate your annual salary, multiply the gross pay — before taxes — by the number of pay periods in the year.  

For example, if you earn $2,000/week, your annual income is calculated by taking $2,000 x 52 weeks for a total salary of $104,000. 

Note: your pay frequency may differ, such as if you’re paid bi-weekly, semi-monthly, or monthly.  

Experiment with the paycheck calculator above to answer these questions — among others — while also pinpointing any changes you can make to boost your take-home pay and improve your personal finances.  

SurePayroll, Inc. and its subsidiaries assume no liability and make no warranties on or for the information contained on these state payroll pages. The information presented is intended for reference only and is neither tax nor legal advice. Consult a professional tax, legal or other advisor to verify this information and determine if and/or how it may apply to your particular situation.

This website contains articles posted for informational and educational value. SurePayroll is not responsible for information contained within any of these materials. Any opinions expressed within materials are not necessarily the opinion of, or supported by, SurePayroll. The information in these materials should not be considered legal or accounting advice, and it should not substitute for legal, accounting, and other professional advice where the facts and circumstances warrant. If you require legal or accounting advice or need other professional assistance, you should always consult your licensed attorney, accountant or other tax professional to discuss your particular facts, circumstances and business needs.