Virginia Payroll Services
Get Your State ID
Click Here to Obtain State Tax ID
Click Here to Obtain State Unemployment Tax ID
Did you know that Virginia employers are exempt from withholding requirements for certain nonresident employees who live in the District of Columbia, Kentucky, Maryland, Pennsylvania or West Virginia, and who commute daily to work in Virginia and receive wages for services performed in Virginia for an employer within the geographical limits of Virginia?
- Virginia Compensation
- Virginia Payroll for Employers
- Virginia Income Tax Withholding
- Virginia Benefits
- Virginia Links
Employees covered by Virginia's minimum wage law must be paid $7.25 an hour.
All employees of employers with at least four workers (including the employer's spouse, parents or children) are covered except for:
- employees covered by the Fair Labor Standards Act;
- outside salespersons on commission;
- farm laborers or employees;
- persons whose earning capacity is impaired by physical or mental disability;
- employees working in primarily public-supported charitable institutions;
- cab drivers and operators;
- individuals employed on a piece-rate basis;
- employees under age 16 or over age 64;
- full-time students under age 18 not employed more than 20 hours a week; and
- students of any age enrolled in a full-time work study program or the equivalent at an educational institution.
Virginia Payroll for Employers
Employers covered by Virginia's wage payment law must pay salaried employees at least once a month and hourly employees at least biweekly or twice a month.
Taxable Wage Base ($000s): 8,000
New Employer Rate (% Taxable Wages) 2.57
Employee Tax Rate (% Taxable Wages) None
Period Effective Calendar Year 2017
Virginia Income Tax Withholding
Virginia law requires employers to withhold state income tax from their employees' wages and remit the amounts withheld to the Department of Taxation.
Virginia Voting Rights:
Employer Right to Schedule Voting Hours No
Pay Deduction for Voting Time Leave No
Virginia does not have a voting time leave law.
SurePayroll, Inc. and its subsidiaries assume no liability and make no warranties on or for the information contained on these state payroll pages. The information presented is intended for reference only and is neither tax nor legal advice. Consult a professional tax, legal or other advisor to verify this information and determine if and/or how it may apply to your particular situation.